Volunteer at York
Volunteering at the National Railway Museum
Volunteers at the National Railway Museum are involved in a whole host of different activities, ranging from operating the miniature railway and manning the information points to working in the archives and maintaining our world class collection. Thanks to their kind assistance, we are able to provide our visitors with a fantastic day out and a chance to enjoy one of the finest railway collections in the world.
We are always pleased to take on new volunteers, so why don't you check out our opportunities and see how you can get involved?
If there are no suitable opportunities at York, why not check out what volunteer projects are happening at our sister museums: the Science Museum, the National Media Museum and Locomotion: the National Railway Museum at Shildon.
Benefits - what's in it for you?
People volunteer with us for a whole host of different reasons:
- To gain unique, museum-based work experience
- To enhance their CV
- To develop their skills
- To try out some new roles
- To meet people
- To have fun!
We appreciate that some people are able to donate more of their time than others, but whether it's half a day each month or one day a week, we can usually find something to accommodate you. So, if you:
- Are enthusiastic and willing to get stuck in
- Would get a buzz from helping our visitors or working with the collection
- Have a passion for people or history
... the National Railway Museum might just be the place for you. A railway or museum background is by no means essential.
As a member of the volunteering team you'll be given the opportunity to:
- Contribute to the Volunteer News
- Air your views at the volunteer seminar
- Attend the volunteer Christmas party
- Volunteer alongside people with similar interests to yourself
If you're interested in finding out more about volunteering with us, check our online version of the Volunteer News.
We are currently recruiting for the following roles:
- Press and Marketing support volunteer (ideally one full day a week)
If you would like to help us from the comfort of your own home we are looking for remote volunteers to help us with the following project:
- Jackson index volunteer (card index collection) - our volunteer co-ordinator Matt has written a post on our blog for this project.
Please complete our Remote Volunteer Application form to apply for this role.
Please read the appropriate role description carefully before completing and returning the Volunteer Application Form and Equal Opportunities Form below, ideally by email, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nothing of interest at the moment? Check back as new opportunities come up all the time.
For the latest news on volunteering with us, follow @nrmvolman
If you have any questions or queries, please don't hesitate to contact Matthew Hick, the NRM's Volunteer Officer.
National Railway Museum
York, YO26 4XJ
Tel: 01904 685737