How to get hereLocomotion
Please note during the Shed Bash event (23-31 July) be no free public parking at the museum. Park & Ride services will be available from Hardwick Park (TS21 2DN) and Bishop Auckland college (DL14 6JZ) at a charge of £3 per person. See this page for more details.
Three minutes walk from Shildon Station. For train times, visit northernrail.org
To find us follow the brown tourist signs:
- From A689 towards Bishop Auckland (Rushyford/Eden Arms Roundabout)
- From A688 (Bishop Auckland) at roundabout onto West Auckland Road (A6072)
- Take Junction 58 on A1(M) onto the A68 (for Corbridge) and follow the Locomotion signs. We're just 15 minutes from the A1(M).
Satnav users: use the postcode DL4 2RE for the main car park. This will direct you to the small industrial estate that's next to the museum: follow the road into the industrial estate, and the car park is the last turn on the left.
Locomotion is a ten minute walk from Shildon town centre. The museum’s first building, 'Welcome', is located on the corner of Soho Street (see map).
Walking around the Museum site: the museum is a large partially open-air site containing several buildings and three car parks (one disabled car park). When on-site, please follow the museum's orange numbered orientation signs to find your way around. A 3D site map is displayed in ‘Welcome’ (building #1). For further help and assistance, please speak to a member of staff.
It appears as though your browser is unable to support the display of this map.
Please view location details for NRM Shildon at Google Maps' website.
NRM Shildon, "Locomotion", Shildon, Co Durham, DL4 2RE
• Open until 6pm during the Shed Bash
• 10am - 4pm during winter (from 25 October 2015)
• 10am - 5pm in summer (April-September)
• Closed 24-27 Dec and 1 Jan
Where to stay
For information on a range of accommodation throughout the County, from camping to luxury hotels, visit the official tourism website for County Durham.