Dark mysteries

Way back in 1933, a scientist called Fritz Zwicky made a startling discovery. He was looking at a distant galaxy through a telescope, and through some clever maths he found that the galaxy had a lot more mass than it should have, based on what he could see. There was a whole chunk of the galaxy that was somehow invisible.

It turns out that only 5% of our known universe is visible - the other 95% is thought to be made of mysterious 'dark' matter and 'dark' energy.
 
Page 1 of 5
 
Only 5% of our universe is visible; about 70% is dark energy and the rest is dark matter.
Only 5% of our universe is visible; about 70% is dark energy and the rest is dark matter.
.