Clear glass shop round for liquid morphine, United States, 1862-1863
Made from clear glass, the label “SOL. MORPH. MUR.” etched into the side is abbreviated Latin for “Solution of morphine”. First isolated in 1803 by German pharmacist Friedrich Serturner, the name ‘morphine’ refers to Morpheus, the ancient Greek god of dreams. Its use rose dramatically after the development of the hypodermic needle in the 1850s, which allowed morphine to be injected directly. It was mainly used as a pain killer and ironically – given its highly addictive nature – was sometimes prescribed for alcohol or opium addiction. The bottle was originally owned by J A Reid, a chemist in Dumfriesshire, Scotland.
Related Themes and Topics
There are 465 related objects. View all related objects
An organ in the neck of mammals involved in protection of the trachea (windpipe) and sound production.
Glossary: shop round
An agent that causes insensitivity to pain. Applied to either the whole body (general anaesthetic) or a particular area or region (local anaesthetic).
A painkilling drug derived from opium. Morphine is used in hospitals around the world due to its relative lack of side effects.