Pewter tankard used at Charing Cross Hospital, London, England, 1801-1900
Engraved with the words “CHARING CROSS HOSPITAL HALF PINT”, this pewter tankard holds half a pint. The tankard may have been used by patients, or possibly by hospital staff, to drink water. Charing Cross Hospital began in 1823 as a charitable institution known as the West London Infirmary. The name was changed to Charing Cross Hospital in 1827.