Palm splint, England, 1960-1980
Splints are used to prevent bones moving after an accident or because of disease and encourage them to grow correctly. This one was worn on the hand. Made from leather and reinforced with metal, the splint was designed to keep the fingers in an extended position. It was used at the Lord Mayor Treloar Orthopaedic Hospital in Alton, Hampshire, England, a hospital set up in 1908 to treat children with a range of orthopaedic conditions and physical disabilities. The hospital combined treatment with education and schooling.
Related Themes and Topics
There are 583 related objects. View all related objects
The portion of the upper limb distal to the radiocarpal joint, comprised of the wrist, palm, and fingers.
The branch of medicine concerned with the preservation and restoration of the muscular and skeletal systems in the body.
A rigid device of plastic, wood or plaster that serves to immobilize or support an injury. Generally strapped alongside an injured limb.