Contraceptive sponge, United Kingdom, 1901-1930
Sponges were widely used as contraception in the early 1900s. This contraceptive sponge is made of rubber. Sponges were one of a range of contraceptives promoted by the Society for Constructive Birth Control. The organisation was founded by Dr Marie Stopes (1880-1958). Stopes founded the first of her birth control clinics in Holloway, North London in 1921. She is best remembered as a feminist and a birth control pioneer. This object was donated by the Marie Stopes Memorial Foundation. The contraceptive sponge is in its original aluminium box. It was manufactured in Britain by Elarco.
Related Themes and Topics
The use of methods and techniques to prevent pregnancy from sex.
Glossary: contraceptive sponge