Green glass 'poison' shop round for Morphine, Europe, 1701-1935
‘LIQ: MORPH. HDY’ is printed on this green ridged glass bottle. It is abbreviated Latin for “Solution of morphine”. Morphine was first isolated in 1803 by German pharmacist Friedrich Sertürner (1783-1841). The name refers to Morpheus, the ancient Greek god of dreams. It is a powerful painkiller that also induces drowsiness and sleepiness and is still extensively used today. Morphine’s use rose dramatically after the hypodermic needle was developed in the 1850s, which allowed it to be injected directly. Morphine is highly addictive. However, it was sometimes prescribed for alcohol or opium addiction.
Related Themes and Topics
There are 535 related objects. View all related objects
Glossary: shop round
Any agent which, when introduced into the animal organism, is capable of producing a morbid, noxious, or deadly effect upon it. poisons are usually defined seperately from toxins or venoms as substances which are absorbed through epithelial linings such as the skin or gut.
A painkilling drug derived from opium. Morphine is used in hospitals around the world due to its relative lack of side effects.