Homeopathic medicine chest, London, 1880-1910
Twelve labelled glass bottles and a book on homeopathic medicine are contained in this homeopathic medicine chest. The book is entitled ‘Homeopathic Guide for family use’. It was published in 1854 by Dr Laurie. The chest was made by chemists Leath and Ross of London. The chest and its contents were for home use. Dr Frederick Quin brought homeopathy to Britain in 1830. He established the London Homeopathic Hospital in 1849. There were over 80 homeopathic practitioners in London by about 1870. There was friction with the traditional medical establishment. However, pharmacists quickly exploited interest in the new remedies.
Related Themes and Topics
There are 548 related objects. View all related objects
Techniques and Technologies:
Glossary: medicine chest
Small chests fitted for bottles and intended to hold medical supplies; of a type made in the 18th and early 19th centuries.
Glossary: homeopathic medicine