Using this activity in the Science Museum will encourage students to consider that:
- Objects are made from materials that have particular properties.
- When objects are designed the materials they are made from are chosen for a reason.
- Depending on the purpose of the object, certain properties are more important than others.
- Using materials for aesthetic reasons that have nothing to do with the object’s purpose can be important in attracting a market for that object.
- Some objects have a more important role in the way we live our lives, or have had a bigger historical impact, but this is not always a factor in their appeal.