Until December 2017.
Think like an engineer, explore the skills engineers use every day and discover the variety of careers on offer with an engineering background.
Engineer Your Future presents a series of interactive experiences based on key engineering skills used by real-life engineers. We hope that students will develop the sense that engineering is something they might be able to do themselves.
Research has shown that most young people believe science qualifications only lead to a narrow range of jobs such as scientist or doctor. This exhibition positions skills-based games and films with examples of real engineers whose exciting careers will impact all our lives. We believe this can widen students' perception of people who use science in their work and expose them to a range of STEM employers.
What can students do in the gallery?
- Play Rugged Rovers: design a space rover that will travel the furthest across a challenging alien landscape full of jumps, boulders and slopes. Can they problem-solve and beat their friends' creations?
- Test the brain's ability to think about the big picture: play a game to build and test systems inspired by some seriously complex engineering, from electrical grids to rail networks and baggage handling systems.
- Watch our short We Engineer film to find out how engineers make the best even better at some of the country’s most hi-tech test labs.
- See cutting-edge engineering test models on display.
- Play FutureVille to explore a city of the not-too-distant future and meet the women and men who engineer in places you wouldn't expect, from hospitals to Hollywood.
Download our visit briefing notes for more detailed information about using the gallery with students.
Booking your visit
We will allocate groups into time slots for this gallery so please tell us if you wish to visit. Other groups may be in the area at the same time.
Additional careers links and engineering-related resources
Download our Engineering Resource Pack providing classroom activities to help students find out about the skills used by engineers and careers in engineering.
Use our list of engineering-related websites and online resources to further support your teaching.
Check out our engineers' profiles to help students discover where an engineering background could take them – from fuelling the future to creating movie visual effects.
Direct students to the Rugged Rovers app to play after a visit to the Museum.
Engineer Your Future has been generously supported by National Grid, ABB, BT, the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, EDF Energy, IBM, Mott MacDonald and Network Rail, with additional support from EngineeringUK and the Royal Academy of Engineering.