Talk Science teachers' course
This practical one-day course for KS3 and KS4 teachers provides tools and techniques for running effective and engaging class discussions about topical science.
‘The course gave me lots of ideas, and was delivered in a fun and interesting way. It has inspired me to run more discussion lessons in the future.’ KS4 teacher, York
On the Talk Science course you will:
- create 'powerful questions' to stimulate class discussion
- become familar with tried-and-tested classroom techniques for promoting discussion
- learn facilitation skills
- use Mystery Boxes, the Museum's hands-on classroom activity exploring How Science Works
- have the opportunity to plan a discussion lesson for your students.
Lunch and refreshments are provided and you will receive ready-to-use classroom resources such as films and other materials from the course to take away.
The course is delivered by the Science Museum’s experienced training team.
This course has been developed to support UK 11-16 Science curricula, PLTS and APP to promote student understanding of the applications and implications of science and to develop effective communication skills.
This course will take place on:
- Thursday 2 July 2015 at the Science Museum in London
- Tuesday 7 July 2015 at the National Railway Museum in York
- Wednesday 8 July 2015 at the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester
We are also happy to run this course at the Museum for ITT groups or staff from school Science departments, and we may be able to deliver it at your school or local authority training day. Minimum of 20 participants required.
This course is free to attend but places must be pre-booked - see below.
Please download and complete the booking form and return to us by email or in the post. if you are booking for more than one person, please complete separate forms for each. We will send confirmation by email that your place has been booked.
Download the course booking form (Word document)
The form asks you to confirm that your school/organisation has given consent for you to attend; we are unable to process bookings without this. It also gives our booking terms and conditions on the second page.
To arrange a bespoke session for ITT, whole-school staff or local authority training event please e-mail us: email@example.com
Talk Science Project
This course is part of the Talk Science Project.