science museum

Looking at DNA differences

Between any two people, on average one DNA base pair in every thousand varies - but this variation is not spread evenly throughout your DNA. Only 3 per cent of your DNA is part of a gene, while most of the remaining 97 per cent has no known job. This 'non-coding' DNA is far more variable than the DNA that makes up genes. Scientists can look at these DNA differences using several techniques, the best known of which is DNA fingerprinting.

Analysing a DNA fingerprint.
Analysing a DNA fingerprint.
Cellmark Diagnostics, Abingdon

Science Museum Home Page Who am I? Science Museum Home Page