science museum

'Junk' DNA?

You have 6000 million base pairs of DNA in almost every one of your cells, but only about 3 per cent of it makes up genes. Of the remaining 97 per cent, some helps keep the DNA bound together. Much of it appears to serve no purpose at all, although we don't know this for certain. Mutations in this non-coding DNA do not seem to have any obvious effect.

Only 3 per cent of your DNA makes up genes.

Science Museum Home Page Who am I? Science Museum Home Page