Two pharmacy jars, French, 1725-1775.
Image number: 10284122
Although many pharmaceutical vessels were made for the shelves of urban pharmacies, the majority were commissioned by hospitals and monasteries. This pair of tin-glazed earthenware pharmacy jars were made by Hustin of Bordeaux, France, for a Carmelite monastery and bear the monastic blazon (arms of the Shod Carmelite order), decorations of cherubs and festoons of flowers and fruit. They were used for storing bugloss, a herbal remedy.
- Image number:
- Science Museum/Science & Society Picture Library
- Date taken:
- 20 October 2003 12:29
- Image rights:
- Science Museum