Hypodermic syringe, English, c 1860.
Image number: 10284541
Hypodermic syringe, English, c 1860. Designed by Coxeter & Son, London, who manufactured a variety of medical instruments in the mid 1800s. Hypodermic syringes are used for injecting fluids beneath apatien's skin. Francis Rynd (1801-1861), an Irish physician, invented the hollow needle in 1844. In 1853, Charles Pravaz, a French doctor, developed the first practical metal syringe, and in 1855, Dr Alexander Wood of Edinburgh was the first physician to use a hypodermic syringe to inject narcotics into a patient.
- Image number:
- Science Museum/Science & Society Picture Library
- Date taken:
- 20 October 2003 12:36
- Image rights:
- Science Museum