Hypodermic syringe, English, 1860-1880.
Image number: 10288032
Designed by Francis Rynd (1801-1861), this instrument was used for deep injections. It is made of steel with an ivory handle, and was manufactured by Weiss. Rynd, an Irish physician, invented the hollow needle in 1844. In 1853, Charles Pravaz, a French doctor, developed the first practical metal syringe, and in 1855, Dr Alexander Wood of Edinburgh was the first physician to use a hypodermic syringe to inject narcotics into a patient.
- Image number:
- Science Museum/Science & Society Picture Library
- Date taken:
- 20 October 2003 12:44
- Image rights:
- Science Museum