Four-way sand glass, Italian, 17th century.

Image number: 10311383

Four-way sand glass, Italian, 17th century.

This four-way sand glass in a brass stand was hung on a wall so that the glasses could be inverted as required. They measure intervals of quarter, half, three-quarters and one hour, and are of a type formerly used by preachers for timing their sermons. The earliest known illustration of a sand glass is a large fresco of 1337-9 depicting 'Good Government' by Ambrogio Lorenzetti (c 1280-1348) in the 'Palazzo Publico' in Siena, Italy.

Image number:
10311383
Credit:
Science Museum/Science & Society Picture Library
Date taken:
12 January 2004 23:44
Image rights:
Science Museum
 

Related Images

2 related image(s)