Two pharmacy jars, 1723-1763.

Image number: 10284125

Two pharmacy jars, 1723-1763.

One jar is marked with the monogramme of Johannes Pennis, owner of the porcelain dish factory, Delft. Its contents were Electuarium Hierae Picrae, meaning sacred bitter electuary. An electuary was a conserve or paste, usually made with honey. The other jar's label indicates that it contained Dr Prat's unguent (an ointment).

Image number:
10284125
Credit:
Science Museum/Science & Society Picture Library
Date taken:
20 October 2003 12:29
Image rights:
Science Museum