Anastomosis button, c 1930.

Image number: 10287790

Anastomosis button, c 1930.

A device designed by J A Murphy, for intestinal surgery, made of chromium plated steel. The American surgeon Murphy (1857-1916) introduced this type of button, which splits in two, in 1892. The two ends of the gut were closed around each half then the halves were snapped together holding the gut in position. Anastomosis buttons were introduced by American surgeons in the 1890s, and were used to avoid the problems associated with suturing the gut.

Image number:
10287790
Credit:
Science Museum/Science & Society Picture Library
Date taken:
20 October 2003 12:44
Image rights:
Science Museum