Components from Colossus project, 1940s
This valve and resistor are some of the only remaining pieces of an original Colossus - the world's first digital programmable computer. The Colossus was designed by Tommy Flowers at the Post Office Research Station in Dollis Hill, North London. Ten Collosi were built and operated from 1944 at Britain's secret code-breaking establishment at Bletchley in Hertfordshire. When the war was over Winston Churchill ordered that all should be destroyed so that the technology would remain a secret.
|Xsl file could not be processed|