Rotative steam engine by Boulton and Watt, 1788.

Boulton and Watt rotative steam engine, 1788.
Boulton & Watt rotative engine. Employed at the Soho works of Boulton & Watt, this engine is known as the 'Lap' engine as it drove a number of metal polishing (or 'lapping') machines. It is the oldest surviving Watt beam engine to have survived almost complete and unaltered, and was the first to be fitted with the centrifugal governor. By 1800, when Boulton and Watt's partnership ended, 451 engines had been built of which 268 were rotative. By the end of 19th century, the steam engine had become the main source of power for industry and transport.
 
Currently on display in:
Energy Hall
Year made :
1788
Inventory number :
1861-46