A set of four sandglasses in a brass frame, probably 17th century.

Four-way sand glass, Italian, 17th century.
This set of four sand glasses is mounted in a pivoted brass frame so that it can be inverted as required. They measure intervals of a quarter, half, three-quarters and one hour, and are of a type formerly used by preachers for timing their sermons.
 
Currently on display in:
Measuring Time
Year made :
1601-1700
Inventory number :
1942-23