Skinner's Improved mask for open chloroform anaesthesia, 1870-1920

Thomas Skinner's chloroform mask, c 1865.
Thomas Skinner, Obstetric Physician to the Dispensaries in Liverpool, introduced this type of mask in 1862. Chloroform was dropped from a specially designed bottle onto the mask, which kept it off the patient�s face. This technique continued to be used well into the 20th century. The mask is made of a wire frame covered with a gauze fabric and could fold up so that the physician could carry it in their pocket or hat. This example has a flannel cover and was made by Maw in England
 
Currently on display in:
The Science and Art of Medicine
Year made :
1870-1920
Inventory number :
A600333