The Science and Art of Medicine

 

On Display

Stem pessaries, c 1930.

This particular straight stem pessary (illustrated in the top row on the far right) is made out of glass. Stem pessaries are intra-uterine devices.

 
Anaesthetic inhalation ampoules, 1935-1949.

These crushable ampoules contain chloroform and are called �Brisettes�. They are composed of glass with a protective wrapping of gauze and cotton wool and were made by Macfarlan and Co., Edinburgh and London, for use in midwifery. Billings and Sons L

 
Two iron chastity belts, c 16th century.

This iron chastity belt is decorated with a flower design and a heart pierced with arrows. The padlock that is associated with it is not the original one.

 
Part of an obstetrical instrument set, English, 1851-1900.

This set consists of the following instruments in a chamois leather bag: 3 sets of forceps, 2 perforators, 1 blunt hook, 1 crotchet, 1 combined hook and crotchet, 1 trocar, and 1 pair of bone cutters

 
'Omega Spray' vaginal douche, 1900-1940.

This is a vaginal douche and it is made out of rubber and vulcanite. This type of apparatus is used to force water or another solution into the vaginal cavity to flush away vaginal discharge or other contents. Douching is neither a contraceptive, nor

 
Spermicidal pessaries, ointment and jelly, early 20th century.

This item is illustrated in the centre of the middle row and is an original carton containing 12 pessaries. They are of the �Prorace� brand and were supplied by John Bell and Croyden Ltd., London. The other objects in this image are as follows. Botto

 
Haemostatic set, English, 1871-1900.

This pocket set contains the following equipment in a leather case: three bottles, one with contents, one pair of Fraenum scissors, and one measuring cylinder. It was manufactured by Baker, London, and was used in attempts to control post partum blee

 
Re-usable condom in original packaging, 1948-1950.

'Paragon' re-usable medium-sized rubber condom, made by Georges (Chemists) Ltd.

 
The 'Miraculous Chair of Palermo', parturition chair, early 18th century.

This chair is also known as a birthing chair and is designed so that it can be folded up. It is made out of wood and has a leather seat and is reputed to come from Sicily. Women used it when they were giving birth and it has been estimated that it wa

 
Contraceptive sponges, early 20th century.

This particular contraceptive sponge (illustrated on the far right) is made out rubber and has a central cavity for a suppository and a handle for removal. �Occlusator� is its brand name. It is illustrated with a number of other sponges