The Science and Art of Medicine

     

    On Display

    Hypodermic syringe, English, c 1860.

    Hypodermic syringe. Designed by Coxeter and Son, London

     
    Hypodermic syringe, English, 1860-1880.

    Rynd's hypodermic syringe, steel with ivory handle, in maroon leatherette case, by Weiss, London.

     
    Two medicine chests used by explorers, late 19th-early 20th century.

    Medicine chest, used by Livingstone on his last journey, 1874, small, leather, with drugs, including some from Treacher of Bombay and Poona, in 17 glass bottles, a lancet, caustic pencil, one brass weight and a folder plaster, 11860-1874

     
    ‘Livingstone’ Medicine Chest

    Algot Lange, the Swedish-American explorer, took this medicine chest on his adventures in the Amazon rainforest in 1911.

     
    Head of Nefertiti, Egyptian queen, c 1383-1365 BC.

    Plaster copy of a bust of Queen Nefertiti, original Ancient Egyptian, 18th dynasty, c. 1383-1365BC. Nefertiti was the consort of the pharaoh AkhEnaton. The original bust was found at Amatha, Egypt, in 1912 and is now housed at the Egyptian Museum in

     
    Greek and Roman mixing bowls with 'Larva Convivialis', 450 BC-200 AD.

    Red figure column krater, decorated with drinking scenes by the Cleveland Painter, inscription painted over are of the figures, Attica, Greece, 460-440BC

     
    Basil Hall's ovariotomy clamp, 1910-1920.

    This instrument is composed of nickel-plated steel and was manufactured by Down Bros. of London. Basil Hall designed this clamp to be used during ovariotomy operations of the type devised by Ernst Wertheim (1864-1920) of Vienna. The operation was fir

     
    Laryngeal forceps, early 20th century.

    Laryngeal forceps, MacKenzie type, steel, nickel plated, by Down Bros. of London

     
    Fell-O'Dwyer apparatus, American, 1880s.

    Fell-O'Dwyer apparatus, steel, nickel plated, with 3 steel heads and 2 vulcanite

     
    Ancient Egyptian Canopic burial jar, 800-200 BC.

    Alabaster canopic jar with portrait of Imseti, also known as Mestha, on lid, Ancient Egyptian, 800BC-200BC. During the preparation for mummification, the brains were removed through the nostrils, and then an incision was made in the side of the body