This cylinder would have been used for the anaesthetic gas ethyl chloride. It is made of brass and was made in Paris, France. The cooling effect of the volatile liquid was used to produce local anaesthesia. The contents of the cylinder would be spray
Gold angel, used as a touchpiece in the ceremony of healing by touch, mint mark in form of a castle, 2nd or 3rd coinage, issued by James I, 1603-1625
A wooden divination board, known as an itombwa. It is carved in the form of an animal and was used by diviners of the Kuba people to answer questions about an illness. The flat back is covered in oil and water and rubbed with the wooden block. When
Wooden statue of St. Cornelius, probably French, c. 1601-1700. Cornelius was ordained as Bishop of Rome in 251. As a saint he is invoked against a number of medical conditions, including earache and epilepsy.
Statue of Saint Anthony the Hermit, Dutch, 16th century. St. Anthony was patron saint of those afflicted with ergotism, also known as St. Anthony's fire, a skin disease caused by grain infected by the ergot fungus. St Anthony's fire is symbolised by
Plaster copy of a bust of Queen Nefertiti, original Ancient Egyptian, 18th dynasty, c. 1383-1365BC. Nefertiti was the consort of the pharaoh AkhEnaton. The original bust was found at Amatha, Egypt, in 1912 and is now housed at the Egyptian Museum in
Earthenware statue of Saint Anthony (Antonino) of Florence, Italian, 1701-1850.
Faience eye of Horus amulet, Ancient Egyptian, 4000-30BC. Sometimes known as the wedjat eye, this amulet had complex meanings within the Egyptian culture, including protection against the 'evil eye'. Faience is a glazed non-clay ceramic material, com
Copy of Roman artificial leg, c.1910. The original was made of bronze and had been excavated from a grave in Capua, Italy. Dating from c.300BC, it was the oldest artificial limb to be discovered. Kept at the Royal College of Surgeons in London, it
Red figure column krater, decorated with drinking scenes by the Cleveland Painter, inscription painted over are of the figures, Attica, Greece, 460-440BC