Friday 5 May
IMAX Theatre, 19.00–00.00 including interval (doors open at 18.30)
Ex Machina, dir. Alex Garland, 2015, 108 mins, cert. 15
A.I. Artificial Intelligence, dir. Steven Spielberg, 2001, 146 mins, cert. 12
In partnership with Guardian Live, this movie double bill focuses on artificial intelligence, with two features whose themes are decreasingly classifiable as science fiction; in fact we’re heading ever closer to a world where these subjects are science fact.
Originally the brainchild of the late, great Stanley Kubrick, the Steven Spielberg-directed A.I. Artificial Intelligence tells the story of a childlike robot programmed with the ability to love, and his journey to discover where he truly belongs. The first half of this double bill, however, is Alex Garland’s riveting and thought-provoking 2015 thriller Ex Machina, which tells the story of Caleb (Domhnall Gleeson), who is selected to be the human element in a Turing test to determine the consciousness of Ava, a supremely advanced robot portrayed in the film by Alicia Vikander.
We are privileged to be joined at this event by scientific adviser on Ex Machina, broadcaster and frequent Guardian contributor Adam Rutherford, to talk about the science behind the film.
This double bill screening forms part of SCI-FI LONDON Film Festival, taking place in various venues across London from 27 April – 6 May.
The festival brings together the best science fiction and fantastic film from around the world, including international features, documentaries, short films, animation and filmmaking events and a host of related industry workshops and networking events combine the best of science and fiction. Full details of this year’s festival at sci-fi-london.com #SFL17 @scifilondon
- £16 Early booking tickets (limited availability)
- £22 Adults, £20 Seniors, £18 Concessions
Special offer: Add a Robots exhibition ticket for 5 May to your basket and get 20% off your exhibition ticket.
- For ages 18+
- These films are showing in standard Digital 2D and not in IMAX, 3D or IMAX 3D Experience.
- The Robots exhibition has limited capacity, so if you'd like to see it on the evening of your talk you will need to book a timed slot.
- If you don't pre-book an exhibition ticket, you may need to queue for the next available slot.
- Please allow at least 10 minutes to walk from the exhibition to the IMAX Theatre.
- The Science Museum is open until 22.00 on Fridays. Last entry to the Robots exhibition on Fridays is 20.45.