On Display

Equipment for spinning viscose rayon, 1901.

Godet of early spinning machine for viscose silk, designed by Charles. F. Topham Esq. in 1901 plus two spindles.

 
Glass bubbles for testing proof spirits, c 1840-1850.

Round mahogany box 3 1/4 diam containing 18 coloured glass bubbles for measuring the density of proof spirits by A. Maroni 34 Brunswick Place c. 1840-1850"

 
'The Activity' paint roller in metal paint tray, 1954-1964.

`The Activity' paint roller with metal paint tray and card storage box. A Wallpaper Stores Product. 1954-1964.

 
Barber's shaving bowl, French, c 1715-1830.

This bowl was used to collect the blood from shaving cuts. In the 19th century most men visited the barber or shaved periodically at home. Better off customers would have their own personal sets of razors, one for each day of the week. Advances in ra

 
Enema syringes, 18th-19th century.

Large ivory enema syringe, piston action, French, 18th century. Illustrated in the middle of the image with A606171 (19th century plastic enema syringe) on the right and A626202 (19th century brass enema syringe) on the left.

 
Maudslay's screw-cutting lathe, c 1800.

Model of original screw-cutting lathe by Henry Maudslay, 1800. Before Maudslay's invention, screws were crudely made by hand. In this machine the combination of Maudslay's slide rest wih a power-driven screw feed was the prototype of the modern screw

 
Early sewing machine by Elias Howe, c 1846.

Elias Howe's lockstitch sewing machine, c. 1846. This was the first practical sewing machine to be brought to England from America by Amasa Howe, who sold it to William Thomas. Thomas took out a British patent for the design and founded the Thomas Co

 
Fleming's penicillin mould, 1935.

A sample of Penicillium mould presented by Alexander Fleming to Douglas Macleod, 1935.

 
Jumper produced with wool taken from Dolly the sheep, 1998.

Jumper knitted from the first fleece of the sheep named 'Dolly' which was the first animal to be born as a result of cloning an adult cell.

 

2 metal containers, each containing 12x100mg of Distaval Forte tablets (thalidomide), by The Distillers Co. Ltd., 1958-1962