On Display

Weir sewing machine, 1872.

J.Weir's chain stitch sewing machine, model no. 55S of 1872. The machine was called the '55S' because on its introduction it was sold for 55 shillings. This small, inexpensive chain-stitch sewing machine was manufactured in London by James Galloway W

 
Morphy Richards electric toaster, c 1980.

Morphy Richards Electric Toaster model 44560/2, 240V; 950W, with angled ejection, c. 1980

 
The Singer Futura sewing machine, 1976.

Singer Futura sewing machine, part sectioned for display, with detached control panel for public operation, complete with standard accessories, instruction book and foot control, 1976. A microprocessor controlled sewing machine, its selling price on

 
Willcox and Gibbs chain-stitch sewing machine, c 1890.

Wilcox and Gibbs chain stitch sewing machine, a design based on patents Wilcox & Gibbs obtained up to 1883, complete with wooden box. This particular machine was made using the principles of the 'American system' of manufacture by its contracted make

 
Viking Husqvarna 8010 sewing machine, 1960s.

Viking Husqvarna 8010 sewing machine, partially sectioned 1968; complete with seam formers and cams so as to form 32 different seam patterns. This partially sectioned semi-automatic sewing machine was made by the Husqvarna Company of Sweden, which ma

 
Automatic electric 'pop-up' toaster, c 1960.

Automatic electric toaster with two slots so that each bread slice is simultaneously toasted on both sides, with timer dial, encased in chrome-plated steel with pale blue panels, by Morphy-Richards, English, 1956-1966.

 
Sharp music centre, c 1980.

Vertical-Disc and Audio Cassette Stereo Music Centre Model VZ-3500, Serial No. 20912552, by Sharp Corporation, Japan, c. 1980, with twin 4 Ohm speakers Model CP-350HP

 
'Hoover' steam iron, 1953.

Hoover' steam iron, 1953

 
Electric spin dryer, 1929.

Spin dryer, electric, by Krauss of Leipzig, 1929

 
Parnall 'Auto Dry' tumble drier, c 1958.

"AUTO-DRY" Domestic electric tumble dryer, by Parnall (Yate) Ltd., 255 North Circular Road, London NW10, c. 1958