Enjoy shows, workshops, hands-on galleries and IMAX films with other home educators.
Home schooling families are welcome to visit at any time as individuals or as part of a home education community or group. You can book our school sessions using our group booking portal, except on Home Educators Day. On non-home educators days, sessions are attended alongside schools and restricted to particular age groups.
However on Home Educators Days we relax the age groups so that older and younger siblings can attend our schools' events together. While the content and style of the sessions are still targeted at particular National Curriculum key stages, Home Educators Days are a great opportunity for socialising and networking.
Home Educators Day Activities
On dedicated home educator days, you can pick and choose from the following activities to create your own itinerary for the day:
HOME EDUCATORS DAY ON FRIDAY 19 APRIL 2024
- Destination Space—at 12.00–12.35. £4.50 per child.
- It Takes Guts— at 10.45–11.30 or 13.15–14.00. £4.50 per child.
- Rocket Show—at 11.45–12.05 or 13.45–14.05. £2.50 per child.
- Wonder Show—at 11.00–11.20 or 12.45–13:05. £2.50 per child.
- Pattern Pod—40 minute session. Free.
- The Garden—40 minute session. Free.
- Wonderlab: The Equinor Gallery—60 minute session. Free.
- A Beautiful Planet 3D—11.00 and 15.30
- Antarctica 3D—12.30
- Under the Sea 3D—14:00
Things you need to know before you book
- We want to accommodate as many children as possible, so we prefer not to exceed a 1:1 ratio for adults to children.
- If you are booking for a group, we require at least one adult for every eight children.
- If you are intending to book older or younger children into the sessions, please bear in mind that the content may not be engaging for them, and restless behaviour can affect the enjoyment of others in the audience. We will be happy to recommend alternative things to do that might be more relevant.
- For charged activities the prices apply for all children attending (including older and younger siblings), unless they will be sitting on an adult’s lap.
- You must make payment by credit or debit card at the time of booking. We are unable to send invoices, even for larger groups or network organisations.
- Your booking can be changed up to 28 days before the visit date. After that point you can increase the number of visitors on your eticket at any time, subject to availability and provided that you pay any additional sums which may be charged for the increase by credit or debit card upon changing the booking. You can do this by calling us on 033 0058 0058.
- On or after the 28-day deadline It will not be possible to change or cancel your booking and you will not be entitled to a refund in any circumstances. We are unable to transfer your eticket to another date or reduce the number of visitors on your eticket, and no refund will be available if your group or part of your group is no longer able to attend on the day.
Please read our full terms and conditions.
How to book
To book please register here and call us at 033 0058 0058 (option 1, then option 3). A member of our team will place your booking.
If your booking includes charged activities, you'll need to pay by credit or debit card when booking. Once booked, we'll send an e-ticket that you must bring for entry into the museum and any included activities.
Other things to see and do
Complete your day by exploring our amazing galleries using our free gallery trails. We’ve made some recommendations below, but you can find all the options here.
Other things to see and do
Spectacular Space Trail
Follow our trail to uncover the science and stories behind some space-related objects. Recommended for ages 7 to 11.
Marvels of Medicine Activity Trail - KS2
Find out what your elders mean when they say ‘spend a penny’ and hunt through the galleries to find a merman.
Great Object Hunt: Forces
Find out about forces in the Making the Modern World and Flight galleries. Recommended for ages 7 to 14.