Supervision and behaviour
- The Museum is a public building and adult group leaders must remain with your students at all times to supervise behaviour and take the lead in the event of an evacuation.
- You must have the correct adult-to-student ratio—1:15 for general visits and either 1:10 or 1:8 for other activities—as specified at the time of booking.
- If the behaviour of anyone in your group adversely affects the safety or enjoyment of other visitors or staff, or causes damage to exhibits, this person may be asked to leave. Please brief your students about appropriate behaviour and have contingency measures in place in case anyone is asked to leave.
- The Museum is covered by a comprehensive network of CCTV cameras. Images are monitored and recorded to help ensure the safety of visitors and exhibits.
- The Museum has trained staff to provide first-aid treatment. Please ask if you require assistance or call 020 7942 4444.
- There are two first-aid rooms on the ground floor, to the front and rear of the Museum.
- The nearest accident and emergency department is at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, tel. 020 3315 8000.
- All first-aid incidents are recorded.
- Changing facilities for students with disabilities are available. Please contact us for further information.
Fire and evacuation
- The Museum has well-rehearsed evacuation procedures to ensure that visitors can safely and quickly exit the premises.
- Announcements over the public-address system will signal an evacuation.
- Lead your group out of the Museum quickly—please do not stop to take the register until you reach the assembly point. Fire exits are clearly signposted. Lifts should not be used.
- The main assembly point is in front of Imperial College on Exhibition Road to the north of the Museum. (Download the PDF document at the top of this page for a map.) At the assembly point please take the register and report any missing persons to any Museum staff wearing high-visibility jackets.
- All Science Museum staff have undergone a standard police check. Staff working directly with students have undergone a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
- Staff in the hands-on galleries or delivering educational events have relevant experience and training.
The Science Museum Group, as the parent organisation for the Science Museum, has public and product liability insurance. Download our insurance confirmation letter.
Health and safety policies
- The Museum (as part of the Science Museum Group) has written Health and Safety policy statements.
- All staff attend mandatory Health and Safety training courses.
- The Museum is subject to an annual independent audit to ensure that Health and Safety standards are maintained.
- The Museum’s public areas have been designed, and are maintained, as safe spaces for all our visiting public.
- Exhibitions and activities are designed with full consideration of risk control measures. Assessments are completed for all new works and activities.
- Daily safety checks are carried out on all galleries. Hazards are isolated or rectified immediately.
We are happy to advise group leaders who are planning or booking a visit, or making changes to a visit itinerary. Contact our Learning Support Team on 020 7942 4777.
During term time, our phone lines are open between 08.45 and 17.00 on Mondays to Wednesdays, and between 08.45 and 15.00 on Thursdays and Fridays. Hours may vary during holiday periods.