Science Museum Lates are adults-only, after-hours theme nights that take place in the museum on the last Wednesday of every month.
China Lates: 30 January 2019
Join us for the first Lates of 2019 as we celebrate Chinese New Year. Find out more about the latest science and emerging technology in China, and discover how its people celebrate the new year.
Plus, all the regular Lates highlights will be here for you to enjoy, including live music and the best silent disco in town.
- AR display of ancient Chinese scroll 天工开物
Join the Beijing Publishing Group for an exclusive augmented reality (AR) viewing of a 16th-century Chinese encyclopedia of scientific inventions.
- The Chinese space programme
China is on its way to becoming a leader in space and the scientific exploration of the universe. Karl Bergquist from the European Space Agency (ESA) will present the incredibly fast rise of the Chinese space programme, talk about its ongoing projects and the relationship between the ESA and China.
Click here to add this event to your Lates ticket.
- Brontë’s in China
Bradford UNESCO City of film and the British Library come together to reveal China’s long-standing affection for the works of the Brontë’s and the growing relationship between British and Chinese film.
- Red envelopes
The red envelope, or lai see in Cantonese, is a monetary gift given to loved ones as part of a celebration. Insert your own money or a chocolate coin and spread the love.
- The story of the year monster 年兽
Join professional storyteller Wendy Shearer as she takes you on a magical journey with stories about the Chinese New Year and the legendary monster Nian.
Food and drink
Take a break between activities and dig into a basket of crispy prawns, a crispy vegetable basket or prawn crackers with sweet chili sauce.
Enjoy homemade pizzas, vegetable chow mein, BBQ pulled pork bao 包, shredded hoisin duck bao and vegetarian bao. Or try egg fried rice topped with sweet and sour pork or sticky orange and ginger chicken, as well as meat and vegetable spring rolls.
Quench your thirst with our colourful tea-based cocktails—the Royal Tea and the Jade Garden Tea—or our range of cold beers, crisp ciders and chilled wines. And for those with a sweet tooth, our cake table will be filled with sweet treats to quell your cravings.
- Space Descent VR with Tim Peake: 35% off the usual ticket price.
- Red Arrows and Fly 360°: Fly our simulators at discounted Lates rates.
- The Last Tsar: Blood and Revolution: Explore the extraordinary lives and deaths of Tsar Nicholas II and his family in our brand new exhibition.
- Hidden Gems: Peel away the layers of the Science Museum’s collection and you’ll find a weird and wonderful world of spectacular objects. Come and marvel at a selection of items not normally on public display, brought straight from our stores.
- Screen Grab: Print your own poster with our team of experts.
- Highlights Tour of the Museum: Follow one of our volunteer tour guides on a whistle-stop tour of some of our most beloved iconic objects and discover the untold stories they hold.
- Talkaoke: Chat, discuss, converse and pontificate on the current topics picked on the night.
- Silent Disco: Whether you’re practising your moves or just in the mood to slam dunk the funk, grab a headset, select your tunes and dance until you drop. £2 tickets available in the Exploring Space gallery on the night.
Each entry in this hugely popular ongoing series of events centres on a different theme: from sex to climate change, from big data to childhood.
27 February 2019: Blood and Revolution
27 March 2019: UNSECO
24 April 2019: 150th Anniversary of the Periodic Table
29 May 2019: Measurement and Control
26 June 2019: Sexuality
These are subject to change—but we can guarantee that each night will be fun and entertaining.