Science Museum Lates are adults-only, after-hours theme nights that take place in the museum on the last Wednesday of every month.
Sweat, tears and triumph: 28 February 2018
Join us in February for a sport and wellbeing-themed Lates.
Get hands-on with some animals and learn how they’re used in therapy, try your hand at cricket in our batting cage and marvel at the aerial acrobatics of our BMX and trials bike riders performing stunts in the museum.
Sport Relief are curating some very special events themed around their ‘BT Red Nose Climb’ which took place in 2009. Stellar guests include actress and former Girls Aloud star Kimberley Walsh and McFly / McBusted heart-throb Harry Judd.
Get Fit, Get Happy: How Harry Judd Overcame Anxiety
At the height of his pop fame with McFly, Harry Judd struggled with crippling anxiety. A decade on, he talks with Ade Adepitan MBE about adapting and surviving, and about his new book of advice for others living with the condition.
Girls Aloud's Kimberley Walsh overcame extreme physical and mental adversity to reach the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro and raise over a million pounds for Comic Relief. In this exclusive Q&A she tells Ade Adepitan MBE how she did it.
Life after near death
After a 5000 km cycle trek across Brazil, Team GB Ambassador and TV presenter Charlie Webster was struck down with cerebral malaria. Find out about her recovery from this terrifying near-death experience which left her with post-traumatic stress disorder, and how she still deals with this today. Q&A will be hosted by Doctor Allan Pamba.
Lates welcomes the Savage Skills riders and runners back to the Museum for a third time. They’ll be hosting extreme stunt shows throughout the evening, with a selection of the world’s best stunt riders in attendance.
What is animal therapy?
Get to experience first hand—with snakes, tortoises and rabbits—exactly what animal therapy is. We’ll learn about the science behind getting hands-on with animals, and why it can be so therapeutic for mind and body.
Through the augmented Magic Mirror
Stand in front of Sport Relief’s Magic Mirror to instantly see yourself in a high mountain base camp. Explore this exhilarating high-altitude environment, but watch out! There may be a few surprises along the way...
- Space Descent VR with Tim Peake: 35% off the usual ticket price
- Illuminating India exhibitions: 5000 Years of Science and Innovation and Photography 1857–2017
- Wounded: Conflict, Casualties and Care: Free entry
- Red Arrows and Fly 360°: Fly our simulators at discounted Lates rates.
- Hidden Gems: Peel away the layers of the Science Museum’s collection and you’ll find a weird and wonderful world of spectacular objects. Come and marvel at a selection of items not normally on public display, brought straight from our stores.
- Can Touch This: Hold history in your hands with objects from the Science Museum’s collection. Museum volunteers will show you what they are made from and how they transformed the way we communicate and share information.
- Screen Grab: Join two up-and-coming printmakers in their pop-up studio and create your own screen-print souvenir of this month’s Lates. It will be hands-on, beautiful and inky...
- Highlights Tour of the Museum: Follow one of our volunteer tour guides on a whistle-stop tour of some of our most beloved iconic objects and discover the untold stories they hold.
- Behind-the-scenes Tour of the Conservation Lab:
Come and see where we treat and care for the museum’s collection of weird and wonderful objects. The conservators have an exciting life trying to make them look great for the public.
- Silent Disco: Whether you’re practising your moves or just in the mood to slam dunk the funk, grab a headset, select your tunes and dance until you drop.
Each entry in this hugely popular ongoing series of events centres on a different theme: from sex to climate change, from big data to childhood.
28 March 2018: TBC
25 April 2018: TBC
30 May 2018: TBC
27 June 2018: TBC
25 July 2018: TBC
29 August 2018: TBC
26 September 2018: TBC
31 October 2018: TBC
28 November 2018:TBC
These are subject to change but we can guarantee that each night will be fun and entertaining.