Science Museum Lates are adults-only, after-hours theme nights that take place in the museum on the last Wednesday of every month.
Space lates: Wednesday 31 July 2019
Join the Science Museum’s celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Moon Landing.
Take one giant leap for mankind in one of our replica ESA Sokol Suits, get crafty making a Spacelet and have the whole solar system around your wrist, and find out how to make space-themed cocktails!
Plus, all the regular Lates highlights will be here for you to enjoy, including live music and the best silent disco in town.
OVER THE MOON
Even 50 years after Neil Armstrong's legendary first step, the Moon still mystifies us. In her current multimedia concert, Susanne Mecklenburg reflects on our ongoing fascination with Earth's little companion using music, images and stories.
SOVIETS IN SPACE
The Soviet Union pioneered space exploration, with achievements including the first man in space, the first woman in space and the first satellite. Explore celebratory Soviet space visuals from our archives and create your own poster art.
Think you could be an astronaut? We think so too! Come along and take inspiration from current ESA astronaut mission patches, then fashion your own patch worthy of representing your journey into space.
Space up your dinner with our rocket workshop. Come along and plant some rocket seeds to take home and grow. 3, 2, 1... salad!
EARTHLINGS—YOUR PLANET IS IN DANGER
50 years after we first visited the Moon, we know that space is a place of wonder as well as danger. What are Earthlings doing now to make life on and around Earth safer from threats in space?
- Space Descent VR with Tim Peake: 35% off the usual ticket price.
- Red Arrows and Fly 360°: Fly our simulators at discounted Lates rates.
- Hidden Gems: Peel away the layers of the Science Museum’s collection and you’ll find a weird and wonderful world of spectacular objects. Come and marvel at a selection of items not normally on public display, brought straight from our stores.
- Screen Grab: Print your own poster with our team of experts.
- Highlights Tour of the Museum: Follow one of our volunteer tour guides on a whistle-stop tour of some of our most beloved iconic objects and discover the untold stories they hold.
- Talkaoke: Chat, discuss, converse and pontificate on the current topics picked on the night.
- Silent Disco: Whether you’re practising your moves or just in the mood to slam dunk the funk, grab a headset, select your tunes and dance until you drop. £2 tickets available in the Exploring Space gallery on the night.
- British Sign Language events at Lates: Join us for BSL-interpreted events and activities.
Each entry in this hugely popular ongoing series of events centres on a different theme: from sex to climate change, from big data to childhood.
- 28 August 2019: Driverless!
Lates will be exploring the themes of our new exhibition Driverless: Who Is in Control?
- 25 September 2019: Top Secret
Lates will be exploring our new exhibition Top Secret looking at the world of codebreaking, ciphers and secret communications as well as quantum computing.
- 30 October 2019: Halloween
Lates will be celebrating Halloween with a spooky night of events as we look at the science behind Halloween.
- 27 November 2019: Art and Science
We’ll be exploring the worlds of science and art and the crossover between these two disciplines.
- 29 January 2020: Medicine
Lates celebrates all things medicine related as we launch our new Medicine Galleries which are based on the extraordinary collections of Henry Wellcome and the Science Museum.
These are subject to change but we can guarantee that each night will be fun and entertaining.