Science Museum Lates are adults-only, after-hours theme nights that take place in the museum on the last Wednesday of every month.
Medicine: 25 JULY 2018
Join us in a celebration of all things medical, from the 70th anniversary of the NHS to the 50th anniversary of the first liver and heart transplants. Learn about how 3D printing is revolutionising the world of transplantation, get hands-on with the Royal College of Pathologists and test your knowledge in our NHS quiz.
We’re also celebrating the 40th anniversary of IVF—come and check out the new exhibition in our Who Am I? gallery.
Plus, all the regular Lates highlights are waiting for you to enjoy, including live music and the best silent disco in town.
Joe Stilgoe and Philip Ball on the Science of Music
IMAX Theatre, £5
Internationally acclaimed singer, pianist and songwriter Joe Stilgoe, invites you to help him explore what science can reveal about the mood of music with the help of Philip Ball, science writer, polymath and musician. The evening will see Joe turn your suggestions into sounds that can both move us and help Phil reveal the secrets of our musical instinct.
Find out more and book tickets
- Space Descent VR with Tim Peake: 35% off the usual ticket price.
- Red Arrows and Fly 360°: Fly our simulators at discounted Lates rates.
- Hidden Gems: Peel away the layers of the Science Museum’s collection and you’ll find a weird and wonderful world of spectacular objects. Come and marvel at a selection of items not normally on public display, brought straight from our stores.
- Can Touch This: Hold history in your hands with objects from the Science Museum’s collection. Museum volunteers will show you what they are made from and how they transformed the way we communicate and share information.
- Screen Grab: Join two up-and-coming printmakers in their pop-up studio and create your own screen-print souvenir of this month’s Lates. It will be hands-on, beautiful and inky...
- Highlights Tour of the Museum: Follow one of our volunteer tour guides on a whistle-stop tour of some of our most beloved iconic objects and discover the untold stories they hold.
- Silent Disco: Whether you’re practicing your moves or just in the mood to slam dunk the funk, grab a headset, select your tunes and dance until you drop. £2 tickets available in the Exploring Space gallery on the night.
Each entry in this hugely popular ongoing series of events centres on a different theme: from sex to climate change, from big data to childhood.
29 August 2018: Circus
26 September 2018: Lates is 10 years old – Science of celebration
31 October 2018: Year of the Engineer
28 November 2018: The Sun
30 January 2019: China
27 February 2019: The Last Tsar
These are subject to change but we can guarantee that each night will be fun and entertaining.