Science Museum Lates are adults-only, after-hours theme nights that take place in the museum on the last Wednesday of every month.
Halloween lates: Wednesday 30 October 2019
Join us for a Halloween Spooktacular, celebrating spooky science, scary animals and debunking myths around ghosts and zombies.
Enter the wonderful world of creepy crawlies with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, find out if you can save the world in the immersive Pandemic, and master the art of spooky make up at Blood, Bruise and Ooze.
Plus, all the regular Lates highlights will be here for you to enjoy, including live music and the best silent disco in town.
GHOSTS, VAMPIRES, ZOMBIES: WHAT’S THE APPEAL?
Halloween is the time for ghosts—but why do we believe in them? Come and find out why ghosts and other supernatural creatures hold an enduring fascination for so many people.
PANDEMIC: CAN YOU SAVE THE WORLD?
An infection is sweeping the globe. In this interactive film a team of ambitious geneticists navigate the ethics of making human/animal hybrids. Can you guide Dr Moritz through the difficult moral decisions of creating new life?
Come and face your fears, getting up close and hands-on with animals that many people are scared of. Meet spiders, snakes, tarantulas, cockroaches and rats as we try to dispel a few myths and turn you round on the awesome animals!
Spook out your friends with your very own slimy goo à la Science Museum.
SCIENCE OF THE ZOMBIE
Join Roger Luckhurst to explore the origins of the undead, and the attempts that have been made to explain them through sociological, medical and pharmacological ideas.
- Space Descent VR with Tim Peake: 35% off the usual ticket price.
- Hidden Gems: Peel away the layers of the Science Museum’s collection and you’ll find a weird and wonderful world of spectacular objects. Come and marvel at a selection of items not normally on public display, brought straight from our stores.
- Screen Grab: Print your own poster with our team of experts.
- Talkaoke: Chat, discuss, converse and pontificate on the current topics picked on the night.
- Silent Disco: Whether you’re practising your moves or just in the mood to slam dunk the funk, grab a headset, select your tunes and dance until you drop. £2 tickets available in the Exploring Space gallery on the night.
- British Sign Language events at Lates: Join us for BSL-interpreted events and activities.
Each entry in this hugely popular ongoing series of events centres on a different theme: from sex to climate change, from big data to childhood.
- 30 October 2019: Halloween
Join us for a spooky night of events as we look at the science behind Halloween.
- 27 November 2019: Art and Science
We’ll be exploring the worlds of science and art and the crossover between these two disciplines.
- 29 January 2020: Medicine
Lates celebrates all things medicine as we launch our new Medicine Galleries, which are based on the extraordinary collections of Henry Wellcome and the Science Museum.
These themes are subject to change but we can guarantee that each night will be fun and entertaining.