Science Museum Lates are adults-only, after-hours theme nights that take place in the museum on the last Wednesday of every month.
TOP SECRET LATES: WEDNESDAY 25 SEPTEMBER 2019
Join us as we delve into the world of cybersecurity, to celebrate our new exhibition Top Secret.
Find out who is in control of your smart home, join the debate on privacy v national security and get hands on with games as we find out how the natural aptitudes of gamers and cyber professionals are similar!
Plus, all the regular Lates highlights will be here for you to enjoy, including live music and the best silent disco in town.
Download our programme and map for the evening.
DOT DOT DOT
Could you decipher your way out of an alien invasion? Join us in as escape game and with the help of Morse code and climb your way up the leader board!
MAKING AND KEEPING QUANTUM SECRETS
Devices harnessing quantum effects will underpin security in the future. Join us and get hands-on with a quantum random number generator and learn how imperfect materials will prevent counterfeiting.
WHO’S IN CONTROL OF YOUR SMART HOME?
How many connected devices do you have in your home? View Avast’s live ‘honeypots’ map to see in real-time how often cybercriminals try to attack popular devices like smart TVs and speakers, and find out what happens if they succeed.
PRIVACY VS NATIONAL SECURITY
Where does privacy start and end? How do you protect privacy and also provide National Security? How do you monitor the bad guys? What do you think?
WANTED: GAMERS TO KEEP US ALL SAFE ONLINE
The cyber security industry needs people. Esports is on the rise. The natural aptitudes that make gamers and cyber professionals good at their jobs are incredibly similar. Could the future of our online security come from the exploding world of competitive video gaming?
Also this month:
Quantum computers represent a new way to process information. Might they be able to crack what are currently thought to be unbreakable codes and answer unanswerable questions? Join Jim Al-Khalili and a panel of experts assembled by CompBioMed and the Science Museum to explore the future of this incredible technology.
- Space Descent VR with Tim Peake: 35% off the usual ticket price.
- Hidden Gems: Peel away the layers of the Science Museum’s collection and you’ll find a weird and wonderful world of spectacular objects. Come and marvel at a selection of items not normally on public display, brought straight from our stores.
- Screen Grab: Print your own poster with our team of experts.
- Talkaoke: Chat, discuss, converse and pontificate on the current topics picked on the night.
- Silent Disco: Whether you’re practising your moves or just in the mood to slam dunk the funk, grab a headset, select your tunes and dance until you drop. £2 tickets available in the Exploring Space gallery on the night.
- British Sign Language events at Lates: Join us for BSL-interpreted events and activities.
Each entry in this hugely popular ongoing series of events centres on a different theme: from sex to climate change, from big data to childhood.
- 30 October 2019: Halloween
Join us for a spooky night of events as we look at the science behind Halloween.
- 27 November 2019: Art and Science
We’ll be exploring the worlds of science and art and the crossover between these two disciplines.
- 29 January 2020: Medicine
Lates celebrates all things medicine as we launch our new Medicine Galleries, which are based on the extraordinary collections of Henry Wellcome and the Science Museum.
These themes are subject to change but we can guarantee that each night will be fun and entertaining.