Science Museum Lates are adults-only, after-hours theme nights that take place in the museum on the last Wednesday of every month.
Art of Innovation lates: Wednesday 27 November 2019
Join us for Art of Innovation, a Lates celebrating our exhibition The Art of Innovation: From the Enlightenment to Dark Matter.
Discover organic photography, experience the mystery of what it feels like to walk into a black hole and find out if machines can achieve the same creativity as the human mind.
Plus, all the regular Lates highlights will be here for you to enjoy, including live music and the best silent disco in town.
Stephen and Martyn Poliakoff in Conversation
Two of Britain’s most celebrated figures work in fields—chemistry and cinema—which, on the surface, appear to be completely unconnected. But are they really so different?
Book tickets now
Longplayer: Algorithmic Composition
Algorithms can create new works, such as art and music, without human input. But can a machine achieve the same creativity as the human mind?
Britannia VR: Out of your mind
It’s 45AD, two years after the Roman invasion of Britannia. You have a choice—drink wine and become immersed in a world of Roman imperialism and power or inhale a smoking bowl and descend into a psychedelic world of druid magic and mysticism.
Watch diverse faces come to life via animated portraits and listen to the stories behind them. See how neuroscience can promote inclusivity by breaking down boundaries between those studied and those studying.
- Space Descent VR with Tim Peake: 35% off the usual ticket price.
- Museum Wonders: Join our curators to uncover the mysteries of objects not usually on display—and tell us if they remind you of grandma's sofa, your favourite childhood holiday or that weird smell on your commute.
- Screen Grab: Print your own poster with our team of experts.
- Talkaoke: Chat, discuss, converse and pontificate on the current topics picked on the night.
- Silent Disco: Whether you’re practising your moves or just in the mood to slam dunk the funk, grab a headset, select your tunes and dance until you drop. £2 tickets available in the Exploring Space gallery on the night.
- British Sign Language events at Lates: Join us for BSL-interpreted events and activities.
Each entry in this hugely popular ongoing series of events centres on a different theme: from sex to climate change, from big data to childhood.
- 29 January 2020: Medicine
Lates celebrates all things medical as we launch our new Medicine Galleries, which are based on the extraordinary collections of Henry Wellcome and the Science Museum.
These themes are subject to change but we can guarantee that each night will be fun and entertaining.