Step into an interactive world of careers and take a peek behind the scenes in our brand new gallery.
Try hands on exhibits that bring to life a wide variety of workplaces, from a blockbuster film set to a pharmaceutical lab, allowing you to experience the hidden yet vital careers of technicians.
Experience a world of careers in one place:
- Set foot inside Shuri’s Lab from Marvel Studios’ Black Panther to re-enact the role of a film-set lighting technician.
- Have a go at making lifesaving medicine as an NHS pharmacy technician.
- Operate a robotic arm and try your hand at welding a rollercoaster track.
- Step into the world of renewable energy and solve problems faced by a wind turbine technician.
We’ve collaborated with industry leaders Marvel Studios, the NHS, National Grid and the University of Sheffield Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre and many more to make these innovative exhibits true to the tasks their technicians do everyday.
Explore this hands on gallery, unearth your own skills and find out how you could make a real difference as a technician.
- Philip, a Civil Engineering Technician who is Deaf, welcomes visitors to the gallery using British Sign Language (BSL) in a pre-recorded video. British Sign Language and hearing loops are available on films featuring technicians.
- An audio description trail is available via QR codes, developed with spoken word artist Arji Manuelpillai and in collaboration with young people. This tour provides an alternative way to explore the gallery, featuring sound effects, characters and spoken word poetry to help bring the gallery to life for visitors who are blind, partially sighted, or just enjoy listening.
- Braille labels accompany key items that visitors can touch, with tactile maps placed at each entrance to the gallery. Large Print and Braille Books are available at the museum entrances. PDF versions of all current Large Print Books are available on the Large Print Book page