There's lots for home educating families and groups to do and see at the Science Museum!
We offer two ways for you to take part:
- Attend our regular sessions for schools on weekdays during term time.
- Join one of our Home Ed Days when we run events exclusively for home educating families and groups.
Participate in our regular sessions for schools
You are welcome to attend our action-packed sessions alongside schools if your children are the correct age for the event (but please note, we cannot accommodate older or younger siblings).
These sessions run on most term time weekdays. Please check for dates on each individual event page.
Tickets cost £4 per child. For each child we allow one accompanying adult free of charge plus, if you wish, one additional adult at a cost of £4.
You can combine the schools' session with the activities described in the 'Other activities' section below.
Home Ed Days
On several dates across the academic year our schools’ sessions - Feel the Force, It Takes Guts and Destination Space - are programmed exclusively for home educating groups and families.
While the content and style of each session remains targeted at particular key stages, the age-restrictions are relaxed so that older and younger siblings can attend. This is also a great opportunity to meet and mingle with other home educating visitors.
Tickets for all children cost £4 unless they will be sitting on an adult’s lap.
To maximise space for children we prefer not to have more than one adult per child however, additional adults can attend for £4 each per session.
Before requesting tickets for older or younger children please bear in mind that the content may not be engaging for them, and restless behaviour can affect the enjoyment of others in the audience. We will be happy to recommend alternative activities that might be more suitable.
Complete your day with some of our other activities described below.
Please be aware that the museum and other activities will be open to schools and general visitors.
- Complement Destination Space with hands-on discovery in The Garden or Pattern Pod. On Home Ed Days these areas require pre-booking and we will allocate a timeslot for your visit. On regular schools days families can enter at any time, but if you are coming as part of an organised group pre-booking is required and we will allocate a specific slot (or slots) to help prevent overcrowding.
- KS2 and older children will enjoy Wonderlab: The Equinor Gallery. Pre-book to qualify for free education tickets to this interactive gallery on weekdays during term time (admission fees apply at all other times). Ask us to include a free Science Show too.
- Watch a thrilling IMAX film or explore one of our special exhibitions, taking advantage of our educational discounts on tickets.
- Download and use our free trails and activities to explore the open-access galleries and discover new and exciting exhibits.
Browse our full offer or see our selected highlights below, then contact us to make your booking. Scroll down for information about how to book.
Other things to see and do
Wonderlab: The Equinor Gallery – school info
Ignite curiosity about science and maths through hands-on exhibits and immersive experiences. A must-do for KS2 and KS3.
The Garden – school info
Hands-on area encouraging early exploration of science.
For Nursery, Reception and Year 1.
Pattern Pod – school info
This multi-sensory gallery encourages excitement and curiosity about patterns in the world around us.
For Reception, Year 1 and Year 2.
How to book
We cannot accept bookings less than two working days before the visit date.
If you are booking for a group, we require at least one adult for every eight children.
To book, call us on 020 7942 4777. Our lines are open Monday to Friday.
Payment for charged activities is due at the time of booking, so remember to have your credit or debit card to hand.
Our terms and conditions apply in relation to cancellations and refunds so please read them before you contact us.